Monday 29 June 2015

TdF Stage 3 Antwerp to Huy

 
Today was a game of 2 halves!
 
We left The Netherlands and all of their frustratingly slow cyclepaths, and headed into Belgique!
 
I didn't get off to the greatest start when I managed to break my bike helmet clasp - luckily the team had a spare, so I was still in business. On the way to the 1st food stop (c25miles) I managed to get 2 punctures (thanks for the spare inner tube Matt!) and added some "Bonus Miles" ie: got lost!.
 
By the time I arrived at the feed stop everyone else was already leaving. I was determined to try and make some places up during the ride to lunch and sped of in pursuit of everyone, the legs felt good considering they had done 105miles the day before, so I went into time trial mode and managed to catch and pass a few before lunch.
 
 
The terrain was more "rolling" than the previous day, now we had moved into Belgium and the main event was the Mur de Huy - a steep hill right at the end of the stage (159km in).
                                         

 
The fortress of Huy, and the beautiful river
                   
              The graffiti artists have already been out ahead of the real Tour following along next week
 
Did I mention the word "Mur" means wall - they weren't kidding! Its only about a mile long, but its STEEP! 26% on one hairpin, cars struggled up it, let alone me on my bike!
 
                 
 


Moi, at the top



 This geezer to toddled up to the top about an hour after I did, fully panniered up, Chapeau sir!
 
The tale of the tape....
 
Tomorrows stage is the longest on the Tour 221kms, and 7 sections of cobbles..I cant wait!
 
 














No comments:

Post a Comment