Tuesday 7 April 2015

Wicks 1st ever Blog!

Right then, here goes - my 1st attempt at writing a blog!

What's it all about? well if you hadn't already worked it out from the picture, this blog will be all about my attempt to cycle the whole of the 2015 Tour de France route, in exactly the same way as the pro cyclists, except we start 1 week before them....and hope to finish 1 week ahead too!

I'm taking part in an organised charity ride called "Tour de Force" and there will be approx. 40-50 other nutters doing the same thing.

That's a total of 21 stages, and a distance of 3340kms - We start in The Netherlands, continue through Belgium (riding over cobbles) and then it starts to get really bumpy - I almost forgot to mention that we will also be going up and over both the Pyrenees and French Alps before finishing in Paris on the Champs-Elysees.
Tour de France 2015 route
 
Why am I doing this?? Good question! Well, apart from being a personal challenge and something to tick off my bucket list, I'm also hoping to raise £2500 for the William Wates Memorial Trust.

The trust provides funding and support to other charities, all with the aim of helping under privileged children, either through education, sport or the arts. I'd really appreciate your support in achieving my total...go on, the cost of a pint, or your morning coffee would go along way to supporting the charity.

www.bemycharity.com/wickstdf2015

I'll be updating the blog on a regular basis before the event, with more detail of my training, and further details about the event. Then once the event starts (technology allowing), I'll update it daily just to let you know how much suffering I'm going through for this challenge :-)

Hopefully you will want to come along for the ride (metaphorically speaking)

6 comments:

  1. You must need your head examined!
    Looking forward to further instalments of this grand voyage. At least until it all kicks-off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Si, I need my head examined? have you forgotten that you are doing it with me?! ha ha - see ya at the start line in Utrecht!

      Delete
  2. Enjoy it. You've trained hard. Ride hard. It'll be a blast. I'll be checking you up throughout. Keep posting
    Graeme Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy it. You've trained hard. Ride hard. It'll be a blast. I'll be checking you up throughout. Keep posting
    Graeme Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Graeme, still plenty of training still to be done....77days to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nut bar, this'll make a great read! Well wishes mate!

    ReplyDelete